Dubai – the city of the future, global city, business hub and shopping capital of the Middle East. It will also host World Expo 2020.
We are all fascinated by Dubai, home of the tallest building in the world – Burj Khalifa, one and only seven star hotel in the world – Burj Al Arab and many others…. Breaking world records building the grandest, largest, and greatest of them all…..
One of this is the Dubai Metro…. Riding this metro system is truly one of my ultimate metro experience. Here are some of its facts and features:
- Driverless, fully automated metro;
- (Another) First metro system in the Arabian Peninsula;
- Dubai Metro was the world’s longest fully automated driverless metro network with a route length of 75 kilometres (47 mi), which was recognized by the Guinness World Records in 2012;
- Cost of construction is staggering AED 28 billion/US$7.8 billion;
- There are five themes used in the interiors of the stations – Heritage, Earth, Air, Fire and Water;
- It is designed by my previous company – Atkins;
- And I have been involved in its design….. eheemmmm….
We use the NOL card (stored-value ticket/contactless smartcard) in paying metro. This can be also used on all other modes of public transport in Dubai – Metro, Tram, Bus, Ferry, water buses and payment of parking fees.
As previously mentioned the station interiors have different design themes and is really state of the art. The views from the outside and inside of the station mesmerizes you.
The riding experience will be secondary as the tour of each of the station itself considered to one of the tourist attraction of Dubai.
Train coaches has VIP and regular seating and of course the train itself is also state of the art.
If you ever set foot on Dubai, I encourage you to ride the Dubai Metro… It will surely amaze you as I have always been….
Did you ride the Dubai Metro? Please share your experiences….